Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween!

I love Halloween.  It's one of those rare times when you just get to have fun; dressing up and getting candy on a school night, walking around the neighborhood with friends, shuffling through the leaves giddy on sugar and a little chilly on a fall night - all good.

When I was a kid, my mom made us the most incredible costumes by hand.  I was three in this picture and still have the clown suit in my kids' dress up bin, along with a bunny and a crayon box constructed out of felt.


In college, Halloween was a BIG deal.  Boulder put on the Mall Crawl, and thousands of people (kids and grown ups) dressed up and paraded from one end of Pearl Street to the other.  I remember one year, my brother (who also went to college with me) went as Merlin - Even at 21, he made his costume himself out of purple taffeta and silver foil.  It was the most magical night of the year.

Now, as a parent, I am not as crafty as I used to be.  I am only capable of semi-homemade.  Here is a picture of my daughter last year as a witch - we bought the dress, wig and the hat, but made the cape from scratch complete with pom pom fringe and iron-on spiders.


This year I was asked to join The Daily Basic's Pinterest group Halloween Decorating. The ideas that people pinned were so much fun, and I loved how many people pitched in!  Here is one of mine - hands down the best semi-homemade idea for Halloween thus far.  It's been repinned over 440 times!


Happy Halloween!!

4 comments:

  1. Aw, it's gorgeous! I think I may have a go at one of those beauties! And I'm with you on the kindle thing... I was definitely in the 'real book' camp until I was bought a kindle as a surprise. Now I absolutely love it! Living room with Christmas decoration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Post, i like this Article, Thanks for sharing this wonderful article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really interesting, I hope everybody lick this Post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really nice topic, which is very useful for me.

    ReplyDelete